One way to show our moms of how much she means to us is through her stomach. Yes! You read it right. This time, it’s not about catching a man’s heart, but catching our mom’s heart on Mother’s Day. Interesting, right?
As we all know, our mothers are the chief cook in the family and we have seen how they’ve gone through just to fill our stomach every day. Since May 8 will be Mother’s Day, let’s celebrate it by making our moms very happy at the same time, will try to reduce the stress they’ve been experiencing when preparing meals for the family. So during the special day, let’s grab the chance to shine out, make use of our hidden skills in our kitchen and let’s surprise our mothers through the goodies and treats we can cook for them.
To start with our sweet surprise, here are the homemade healthy organic recipes I’ve collected and wanted to share with you. Check it out below…
✪ CHICKPEA, QUINOA & TURMERIC CURRY (Serves: 6 | Time: 1 hour)
500g new potatoes, halved
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli flakes or powder
1 tsp ground ginger
400mL tin organic coconut milk
1 Tbsp tomato purée
400g tin organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g tin organic diced tomatoessalt and pepper
salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil, then let them cook for about 25 minutes, until you can easily stick a knife through them. Drain them well.
- Place the potatoes in a large pan and add the garlic, turmeric, coriander, chilli, ginger, coconut milk, tomato purée and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, then add the quinoa with a mug of just-boiled water (300ml).
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, place the lid on and allow to cook. Over the next 30 minutes, stir every 5 minutes or so to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom. (This is quite a long cooking time, but this is how long quinoa takes to cook in all these ingredients, rather than just in water.)
- Halfway through cooking, add the chickpeas. When there are just 5 minutes left, add the spinach and stir it in until it wilts.
- Once the quinoa has cooked and is fluffy, not crunchy, it’s ready.
- Serve and enjoy!
✪ SLOW-COOKER PORK TACOS (Serves: 8 | Time: 5 hours & 36 minutes)
3 whole ancho chiles
3 whole pasilla chiles
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed), cut into chunks
Freshly ground pepper
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
Corn tortillas, warmed, for serving
Assorted taco toppings, for garnish
- Put the ancho and pasilla chiles and the garlic in a bowl; add 2 to 3 tablespoons water. Microwave on high until soft and pliable, 2 to 3 minutes. Stem and seed the chiles; peel the garlic. Transfer the chiles and garlic to a blender.
- Add the chipotles, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.
- Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender, about 5 hours. (Or cook the meat in a large Dutch oven, covered, for 1 hour 45 minutes at 350 degrees; uncover and cook 30 more
- Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with 2 forks; season with salt and pepper. Serve the shredded pork in the tortillas, along with toppings.
✪ ORGANIC YELLOW SPLIT PEA SOUP (Serves: 6 | Time: 1.5-2 hours)
500g organic yellow split peas
7 cups Vegetable Stock
2 Brown Onions, peeled and diced
fresh ginger, approx 5 cm piece
1 to 1.5 tsp Marjoram or Organic Thyme
1 kg pork hock (optional)
- Soak the peas in plenty of water for 12 to 18 hours, then drain.
- Put the peas in a large pot on the stove and add the stock,chopped onions, ginger cut into a few pieces and the pork hock.
- Boil for 1 to 1.5 hours, adding the herbs after about 45 minutes, until the peas are soft and the soup has thickened.
- Pick up the hock and cut into bite sized pieces, put back into the soup.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
✪ SWEET POTATO AND GOODNESS STUFFED SPRING ROLLS (Serves: 10 | Time: 45 minutes)
1 medium carrot, peeled cubed and cooked
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
3/4 cup quinoa
4 tbsps olive oil for brushing
1 spring onion, finely sliced
100grams fetta, crumbled
20 sheets of spring roll pastry
1/2 cup puy/french stylegreen lentils (dry)
- Cook the quinoa and lentils together (I use my rice cooker for this).
- Mash the sweet potato and carrot, combine with the quinoa and lentils. Allow to cool.
- Add the fetta and spring onions and mix through.
- Put 1.5 tablespoons full in the corner of a spring roll wrapper. Fold the sides in and roll to the end, adding water to make the pastry stick as you get to the end.
- Cook – Preheat oven to 200 degrees, brush spring rolls with olive oil and bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Freeze on a baking tray and transfer to a container when solid. Cook from frozen at 200 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden after brushing with olive oil.
✪ ORGANIC CHILLI BEEF AND BEANS (Serves: 6 | Time: 1 hour)
1 tbsp organic olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 red capsicum finely chopped
2 teaspoon organic chilli powder
1 teaspoon organic paprika
1 tsp organic ground cumin
600g minced beef
2 cups beef stock
400g organic tinned tomatoes – diced
1 teaspoon dried organic oregano
1 teaspoon rapadura or raw sugar
3 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh chopped coriander (optional) – to serve
400g organic red kidney beans – drained & rinsed
Sour cream (optional) – to serve
- Add oil, onion & garlic & cook over a medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add capsicum, chill, paprika & cumin & cook for 5 mins stirring often.
- Add mince and cook until brown over a medium to high heat.
- Add stock, tomato, oregano, sugar, salt & pepper.
- Add tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil, then cover & simmer for 15-20mins.
- Add beans and cook for 10- 15mins more.
- Serve in a bowl and tope with fresh coriander & sour cream if desired. Great served with rice or corn bread.
- To make the dish vegetarian, replace the 600g of beef mince with 400g organic black beans – drained & rinsed.
- This meal can be left to simmer away for a long time, even hours and the flavour becomes more delicious the longer it cooks for. Just add extra liquid if required. It can be easily frozen.
✪ SPINACH STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS (Serves: 4 | Time: 1 hour & 25 minutes)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
4 slices bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, spinach, feta cheese, and garlic until well blended. Set aside.
- Carefully butterfly chicken breasts, making sure not to cut all the way through. Spoon spinach mixture into chicken breasts. Wrap each with a piece of bacon, and secure with a toothpick. Place in shallow baking dish. Cover.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
✪ CRUSTLESS SPINACH QUICHE (Serves: 6 | Time: 50 minutes)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
5 eggs, beaten
3 cups shredded Muenster cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Stir in spinach and continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
✪ OVEN-BAKED SALMON (Serves: 5 | Time: 15 minutes)
12 ounce salmon fillet, cut into 4 pieces
Freshly ground black pepper
Toasted Almond Parsley Salsa, for serving
Baked squash, for serving, optional
Toasted Almond Parsley Salad:
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Coarse grain salt
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup toasted almonds
Extra-virgin olive oil
- Watch how to make this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet or in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with the Toasted Almond Parsley Salad and squash, if desired.
- Toasted Almond Parsley Salad:
- Mince the shallot and add to a small bowl. Pour the vinegar over the shallots and add a pinch of salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Roughly chop the capers, parsley and almonds and add to the shallots. Add the olive oil, tasting as you go. Mix again and adjust the seasonings.
✪ PAN-SEARED SALMON WITH KALE AND APPLE SALAD (Serves: 4 | Time: 40 minutes)
Four 5-ounce center-cut salmon fillets (about 1-inch thick)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup dates
1 Honeycrisp apple
1/4 cup finely grated pecorino
3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
Freshly ground black pepper
4 whole wheat dinner rolls
- Bring the salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes.
- While the kale stands, cut the dates into thin slivers and the apple into matchsticks. Add the dates, apples, cheese and almonds to the kale. Season with pepper, toss well and set aside.
- Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon, skin-side up in the pan. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook until it feels firm to the touch, about 3 minutes more.
- Divide the salmon, salad and rolls evenly among four plates.
- Per serving (1 fish fillet, about 2 cups of salad and 1 dinner roll): Calories 620; Fat 36 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 730 mg; Carbohydrate 40 g; Protein 39 g; Fiber 7 g; Sugars 14 g
✪ CREAMY SMOKED SALMON PASTA (Serves: 8 | Time: 30 minutes)
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed and drained
1/2 cup canned mushrooms, drained
10 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in butter until tender.
- Stir flour and garlic powder into the butter and onions. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to just below boiling point, and then gradually stir in cheese until the sauce is smooth. Stir in peas and mushrooms., and cook over low heat for 4 minutes.
- Toss in smoked salmon, and cook for 2 more minutes. Serve over pasta.
Let’s recognize all the nice things our moms have done just to give us a wonderful life today. With the help of the mouth-watering healthy organic recipes listed above, hope will able to transform Mother’s Day into an extra exceptional event for our mothers.
Aside from cooking a delicious dishes for our mom, we can also have other preference to surprise her. In order to guide you if what better stuff to give her as a gift, you may visit our Top 5 Organic Items for Moms This Mother’s Day and choose which you think she’ll love to receive. Hope it helps!
Happy Mother’s Day!
Wishing all moms to live longer, more strength for more special days to come and have a healthy happy life.